Thursday, April 29, 2004

The meetings need to stop

I've decided meetings are worthless. People really need to schedule work sessions, where the just sit down and get the job done. Tonight we're having a meeting (note my gleeful key strokes) about a house activity. I know what's going to happen. It's going to go like this:

President: I know there's been a lot of discussion about this...
NIB: We need to change the structure of the event. It sucks.
Older Brother: But We've always done it this way.
Social Chair: Guys, we have an entirely different problem.

And then he's going to whine about something off topic for a while, then the house treasurer will make an off topic comment, Todd will say something almost intelligent but be drowned out by a chorus of people who have written him off as useless, another NIB will say something dumb, and in the end, the original NIB who brought up a very good point will have nothing. There will be no change. It will be drowned out in a chorus of naysaying, and swept away with the cleansing power of fear. In the end it comes down to the fact that people are afraid to try something new becuase they are afraid to fail.

Maybe this will be the meeting that proves me wrong. I sure hope so.

After that though, we're having a waffle comm work session. Big strategy and thinking here. I'm also going to make these guys help me fill out the budget.

And then part of me says screw it. I'm going to be a senior. I've got an honors thesis to worry about. Do I really need to jump through student government hoops? There's a reason no one likes these kids, and thinks the SA is worthless. Do I really want to make them look good? Heck, today a friend (and house president here) mentioned I should bring it up with IFC -- that they'd help to sponsor my event.

We wouldn't have T-shirts. But it was never about the T-shirts. It's about making things safe, yet fun. What's stoping me from taking $100 of my orientation week check, making a shitload of waffles, and handing them out myself -- from having fun and making things safe?

And I realize the answer is nothing. What would they do? Have the IPD dress up in full riot gear to remove me from Ho plaza? I'm peacefully assembling in a public place. And if I'm on the sidewalk, the Supreme Court has my back. Since all sidewalks are considered public domain, I cannot be removed unless I am causing a disturbance. I won't be forcing my waffles on people -- just offering them. They can take, or leave, as they please.

And I can't believe that the CU Tonight kids would think this event encourages drinking. The drinking is going to happen regardless of whethere or not I hand out waffles. Their logic is flawed. But then again, these are the kind of idiots that are going to be running Cornell in 20 years, making it much easier for me to forgo my alumni contributions.

But now it's time to walk to dinner.

No comments: