Thursday, April 01, 2004

A Guest Rant:

"Dear Mr. Buck,

I recently appealed ticket number #523485, and I have received your
response to my appeal. I feel that your response is both misguided and
extraordinarily misinformed.

Firstly, you wrote in your letter, "I understand you do not feel the above
violation was properly issued." To that, I have a simple response: The
violation WAS NOT properly issued. As I indicated in my initial appeal, I
always park in the metered spaces, which are clearly marked, and are
clearly posted to be free in the evening. There are never any exceptions
to this. Why would I park in a spot that is restricted and get a ticket
when I can park in a spot that is free and unrestricted?

Secondly, you indicate that "the ticketing officer has clearly indicated
that your vehicle was parked in a space by Helen Newman Hall individually
posted as reserved for "MT" permits at all times." You mean to tell me
that the ticketing officer remembers exactly where I was parked on March
8th at 7:02 p.m.? I highly doubt this, especially considering the fact
that the ticketing officer incorrectly labeled my car as a 4-door sedan on
the ticket when in fact my car is a 2-door coupe. Since he or she could
not even correctly identify how many doors my car has, I would think that
his or her memory as to the spot I was parked in would be incredibly
suspect.

Lastly, you wrote: "As I can find no error in how this violation was
issued, the fine is being upheld." You go on to say, "If you have
additional factual evidence that demonstrates you did not violate the
cited regulation, you may reappeal within ten calendar days." My question
to you is, what factual evidence would be required for you to eliminate
the fine? Clearly your only goal is to extract as much money as possible
from every person possible, so why would you eliminate my fine at all? The
answer is that you wouldn't...judging from the wording of your letter and
how quick you are to assume that the ticketing officer did not make any
mistakes, you have one motivation: to make money. However, I again pose
the following question to you: Why would I park illegally when I can park
in metered spots which are free? The answer is that I wouldn't, because I
am a rational human being.

Please note that I have written the check for the ticket and will mail in
my payment tomorrow. However, please note that I now carry a camera in my
car at all times, and if I am ticketed a third time incorrectly, I WILL
take you, as well as Cornell Transportation and Mail Services to court,
and my lawyer has assured me that I am well within my legal right to do
so.

Regards,
Philip Rant"

No comments: