Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Keeping up with the Jones

I had lunch with former Sun editor Scott Jones today. We had a nice, hour-long chat about life and such. Most of all, I enjoyed Scott's wit and wandering eyes. It was funny to watch him track an attractive blonde or brunette as she moved behind me. At times he looked like he wasn't paying attention at all, staring off in a daze at the redhead in the farthest corner of the room. I understood though. I've been on that other side of the table.

We had another Mock Election meeting tonight. I was about 5 minutes late for the dinner meeting, and had to squeeze in next to Mike. Best mistake ever. It ended up where I was able to monopolize the conversation at our 10-person table, and get everyone to agree on making an informational pamphlet to send out to political figures and media organizations. Cornell has apparently agreed to pick up the tab, so I'm excited for full-color and glossy.

On a more serious level, though, I think that the pamphlets will make our event appear much more professional. It should help us to snag a few unsuspecting elected officials, or two as well. At the same time, it'll be the first concrete thing our group has produced. This is why I hate group work when I'm not the chair. Too much talk about ideas, and not enough work on the actual concept. We're also working on a letter that's going to come from President Lehman. I'm re-working the draft now, and hopefully we'll be able to get some hard copies from him by the end of next week.

And the people working on this thing, albeit some of them appear to be as life like as the statue of Ezra Cornell himself, seem pretty cool. I'm excited to see what unfurls itself during the course of our planning. The only issue I forsee is if Danny and I disagree on an issue. We're both strong-willed individuals ... but I think I could take him ;)

(I can't believe I just used an emoticon. I'm going to go do something more masculine now, in hopes of forgetting about this.)

No comments: