Tuesday, March 02, 2004

What is it about the yellow ones?

So yesterday morning, I went to my shift at the helpdesk -- 8 a.m. -- like usual. Things progressed normally, the shifts changed over, and I was free to leave. As I packed up, however, this really cute girl came up to the counter. Still gathering my things up, I listened in.

"Is Andrew here?"

"He Just left," the front desk consultant said.

"Oh, I'll come back."

Now I don't really know too much about the consultants or their personal lives, but in the case of most, they have no lives outside of the helpdesk. Andrew seemed like a cool customer, so I didn't make this assumption about him, but the visitor did surprise me. When I was back on shift in the afternoon, he came in to do his afternoon thing, so I asked him about it.

And he had no idea.

I was baffled -- envious more so. Andrew had a secret admirer, or stalker of some sort and she was cute. She happened to come back in the afternoon, and asked if Andrew was there. I took care of this time (being at the front desk), and offered to go get him. She declined, but handed me a bag to pass on.

I gave it to him, and he smiled, but he was still confused. Then his face brightened. Inside of the bag was a plastic, clear water bottle -- like a nalgene, but slightly smaller. Inside of that were a ton of skittles.

"She even knew I didn't like the yellow ones," Andrew said with a dreamy smile, referring to the fact that the girl had picked out all of the yellow skittles before filling the bottle.

I've since suspected that he knows more than he was letting on, but he really didn't seem to understand why he got a thing of skittles. And does it matter? Gifts from good looking girls? Mystery, surprise, romance? Who doesn't crave those things?

Perhaps the better question is what is it about the yellow ones?

---

It's strange sometimes to think that I work for the same organization (Daily Sun) that EB White, Dick Schaap, and thousands of other alumns have worked for, but it's also humbling. My work carries on their legends, perpetuates their myths, and continues to provide thousands with up to date, and accurate Cornell news.

So last night, when a writer phoned in an egregious error, I was inclined to fix it -- it's my duty as an editor to present the facts. I then wrote the editors in training a note, letting them know about the error. They had labeled John Edwards (D - N.C.) as a senator from South Carolina. Two writers, two news editors, and a copy editor had all read this story, and the gaffe had gone un-noticed until one of the authors phoned in the mistake. In my mind, it was as rediculous as saying A-Rod plays for the Mets; close, but no cigar.

In my passionate e-mail I noted that I -- an assistant sports editor -- knew that Dennis Kucinic was from Ohio, how come they didn't know where Edwards was from? I suggested they think about the great responsibility that they were about to enter into, and think of how they were connected to the greats such as White and Schaap. I let them know that I wasn't out to hurt feelings, but that I felt very strongly about this error. I also told them that if they wanted to vent at me, comment, or discuss, they should shoot me an e-mail.

The two editors in training sent me wonderful responses, citing their own love for the news and politics that they will soon be delivering to the campus. I feel that they now understand the scope of their new positions. One of the Editor in Chief candidates even applauded me for the note.

Then the hating began.

Another editor and I, who have never had a great amount of love for each other to begin with, blasted me -- calling me childish, hurtful, and obnoxious. Another told me that I should have sat down with them first, and that my comments weren't helpful. Yet does it hurt to strive for perfection? Is it childish and obnxious to take pride in my work, the organization it represents, and the rich history and tradition that has come before?

If it is, then lock me up and throw away the key. I plead guilty on all accounts.

---

I'm on a quest to change my CS 100 J grade to pass/fail. I need to get the proff's signature before Thursday at noon. I'm going to track down my own advisor tomorrow. If all else fails, I'm just going to drop the class and audit it.

No comments: