Friday, March 05, 2004

Happy and you know it

I've been described and named many things. Childish, obnoxious, sweet, a credit union ... but today, at the risk of appearing self depricating, I'd like to add one to the list:

Happy.

Last night was my last night as an editor at the paper, meaning that now I don't need to spend 20-40 hours a week immersed in the Daily Sun. I'm excited at the prospects my newfound freedom brings me. I can live a life again, be social, do my homework...

The best part is that I feel happy. It hasn't completely sunk in yet, but I know it will over the next few days. Already I feel as if a great weight has been removed from my shoulders. I hope this is only the beginning.

Now don't get me wrong -- I've loved my Daily Sun editorial experience. Without it, I'd have half a dozen fewer close friends. The bonds I've made while taking road trips, putting out wraps and dicking around at the office rival those from pledging. Without being an editor I never would have met Jeremy Schaap, let alone have his cell phone number.

The Lacrosse, Football and Hockey seasons? Priceless. I love interacting with those guys, getting involved, it's like falling in love with someone, only my someone is a team of 20+ sweaty guys and a rough and tumble coach. You feel for them; angst when they don't make the post season, happiness when they do, and sheer joy when they go all the way.

But today, I'm done. Today I'm going to the gym for the first time all semester. Today I'm having dinner at the house. Today I'm joking around with the housmates. Today I'm happy.

*expect the daily details after this weekend ... I've got some good ones coming up.

No comments: