Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Pardon the Interruption...

My tale of Canadian wonder will have to wait, I've just hit on a very depressing thought that I need to share.

In two weeks the freshman will move in. They will come wide eyed, bring parents, and stay for anywhere from one semester to one lifetime.

Yet besides all that optimism, they bring something else -- something I fear. They bring an attitude.

Not all, mind you, but the ones I think are worth meeting seem to carry an attitude. Kind of the "I'm too good for you," thing. And just becuase they don't have it now doesn't mean they can't pick it up from their friends. That's what happened with Lisa.

Hell, I was even good enough for Devon until I opened my mouth.

But why?

What changes when you start opening up? Why do people instantly shoot others down beucase of affiliations or creeds? If college is supposed to be about opening doors and expanding your mind, then there are a lot of people at Cornell who don't appear to be getting their monies worth.

Sure, being exclusive is fun, but it gets old. Meeting new people and hearing new stories? That's where it's at, and this orientation week, that's where you'll find me.

No comments: