Friday, December 19, 2003

Three Times a Bride's Maid ... Always a Friend?

Jevon left yesterday, and I was there for that but it didn't seem emotional. Maybe it's the fact that I'll see him again in January, or maybe I was just burned out from doing my paper at 5 a.m. Still I didn't get emotional.

Not that I got all Dick Vermeil-like when Kajsa and Dylan left, but I did feel sad to see them go. Kajsa has always been someone I could gripe about classes with, while Dylan would share his keen observations about the quality of life, all while keeping a level head. Beyond that, they were my friends. I will truly miss them both next semester.

This morning I went to work, fell asleep on shift, and ran around like a chicken with my head cutoff. There was no PC supervisor today so I was forced to play mother hen to the entire helpdesk. Rolling the phones so customers could call us was the easy part.

About 30 minutes into my weekly Friday-morning, 8 a.m. love fest, one of the PC consultants -- Jon -- came over with a question. He had a customer on the phone who needed to assign room privledges in Cornell's network calendar program. Ironically, he came to me with questions no more than 2 minutes after I had explained to the other macintosh consultants how I didn't know anything about the system. Of course, I get paid to know these things (or at least pretend to), so I had to help the consultant find the solution.

It was easy in the end. The person wasn't connected to the network, which is why they couldn't assign privledges to other users. Of course, that took 25 minutes of web searching, brow beating and stomach churning to come by. The next thing wasn't so hot either.

Apparently one person had called us four times in one hour. Everytime they asked a queston, got the answer, thanked the consultant and hung up. Around 10:30, the onsite supervisor came over to me.

"I need you to give me a consultant," he said. "We're going to need someone to get rid of a virus on this machine."

Sure enough, he handed me a sheet filled with complaints about viruses, firewalls, and crazy other things I had never even heard of. The fixes seemed simple enough, but judging from the number of calls the user gave us, they were computer illterate. They were also some administrative assistant to the graduate programs. I sent Jon to go deal with it. He was going to be at the call center all day anyway, so I figured a break from the phones couldn't hurt him.

Jon ended up allright, and so did that computer I sent him to fix. We also had an irate woman come in and bitch about her laptop being slow. It was actually old, but we turned some buttons on to make her feel better. Then I did myself in.

I began playing fishy (www.xgenstudios.com).

It's such a simple game, and from watching it, you'd think it was easy, or a waste of time. Once you start playing it, however, it's something else. It grows on you, eventually becoming an addiction.

I've never had crack, and after fishy I don't want to. I don't think it would be as good.

I "crashed" from my fishy high around 3 p.m., when I returned home to run a few errands on the commons. I went to the bank, mailed a book to my brother, and then climbed the steep hills of Ithaca back home.

That's when I learned Kajsa's dad was coming around 6 p.m. Originally, I thought she and Dylan were going to head home around 2 a.m., or something like that. I really didn't understand what they were planning on, but in the end it made sense. The original course of action was to sleep for a while, then start back to Wisconsin. Instead they decided to go right home.

We loaded the car with garbage, and they dumped it. We then loaded the car with their belongings and headed to dinner. Dinner was great, and we talked about the semester, recapping the high points (not having anymore bats made my list), and joking about the things we would be doing over break. Along the way, the topic of Kajsa's being a bride's maid came up. Since being asked to fill the position, she's also been overtaken by a great fear: three times a bride's maid, never a bride.

Earlier in the year, Dylan and I joked about having Kajsa be a bride's maid at our weddings, and making sure to get married before she did. Then, if she did go to this upcoming wedding as a member of the bridal party, she would have been a bride's maid three times.

A laughter-filled "Oh no!" was her common response, as it was tonight when we told the tale to her father.

Kajsa's dad is a really cool guy, but I didn't expect anything less after living with Kajsa for nearly a full academic year. I'll miss the lazy afternoons watching WE, and waking up in the evenings to find our living room full of strange and wonderful people, playing games on Echo's high-class tables. Kajsa -- you were truly the life of the apartment -- spending your time on as many fruitful activities of scholarship and friendship as possible. Dylan, Jevon and I merely struggled to keep up.

And tonight, as the three of my apartmentmates have departed, it appears I have failed to do my "keeping up." Alone, I have fallen behind, resigned to spend the night in an empty apartment.

Safe journeys my friends, on whichever interstate you may be travelling. While the months between now and our reunion are many, perhaps tonight we will reminisce in my dreams.

Now excuse me while I go get all Dick Vermeil-like. Anyone got a tissue?

No comments: