Friday, September 26, 2003

Interruptions revisited

So I realized I never posted that really "cool" event from a few weekends ago.

It went like this...

Owen had to go pick up Rob so he could shoot the cross country match. We were excited beucase Rob has an amazing eye for photography, and we didn't have any pics of the current cross country team. I decided to tag along, because I had nothing better to do until 7, which is when we were going to interview football players.

It was the best thing I ever did.

Upon our arrival at the course, we instantly spotted the team. Things were awkward, though. I know a lot of the guys, like Greg, Emory, Mike, and Zeb -- so it was cool to watch them -- but it was also awkward just kind of standing around with them.

Then Rob got ready to do his thing.

Our plan was to shoot the beginning and then the end of the course, but that soon changed. A few minutes after we figured out what we'd do, Rob spotted the University's photog with a golf cart.

"He's got a golf cart, how come I can't get one?" Rob joked.

The good thing was that Owen and I took him seriously. In our minds, Rob is one of the allstar photogs, and what Rob wants, Rob gets. We walked in and asked the woman at the desk what we had to do to get a golf cart. She was nice, joked around with us, and then asked us who we were. I pulled out my card.

I could tell she was confused, so I explained things again. Eventually she caught on and handed us the keys to golf cart No. 12. The only problem was that No. 12 didn't exist. We scoured the lot, but couldn't find it to save our lives. In the end, we exchanged it for a different golf cart and took off.

We lined right up on the course, behind one of the markers.

"If they're running into that, they've got bigger issues than hitting you guys," said one of the coaches. I took it to mean that the runners were off course.

They ran right at us, and then around us, and after Rob grabbed his initial photos, we sped off. We followed Zeb, and the photographer from Army. They seemed to know their ways to the mile markers. All I knew was that I should duck when Owen drove through the trees.

The experience was amazing, and I liken it to chasing game in Africa. Not that I have ever done that, but I imagine this is of a similar appeal. Another, more reasonable, comparison may be made to the movie twister. One minute you're driving through the back woods linining the course, next you've swung a hard right and hit a pack of runners.

It was very cool, and something I look forward to doing again.


----

Since my last few postings, I've seen Antigone (amazing both visually and for it's deeper message), hit up some parties with Christian and Matt, and taken some more LSAT tests.

I'm stalling on the LSAT. I'm stuck at 161. I have one week to go up five points. I hope I can do it.

---

This weekend is Yale. I'll be hitting the road in a few hours, and we'll actually be staying with Peter (and Alex, although Alex is away this weekend). I'm excited to see Peter, and Una. It should be good times.

When I get back, however, I need to do work. Most importantly, write my game story. Next I need to read for marketing. Then I need to work on my papers for Comm 420 and 450.

So sweet, yet so bitter...

No comments: