Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Summer winds bring sweet memories of Spring

So I was sleeping on the blue couch, Jason was on the yellow one, and what happens? Matt Nagowski comes and wakes me up. No biggie, we weren't supposed to fall asleep, but I suppose you can't help it when the Mets are playing.

Anyway, Matt was slightly winded, and were it a Lassie episode I would have to had guessed that little Timmy was stuck in a well again.

But no.

Matt had come to get me for the Iron Chef match.

Yeah, that's right. I talk a lot about TV, and maybe it's beucase there isn't much else to do in Ithaca after dark (The gorges are a bit sketchy then). But in this case, no TV was involved, just pure unadulterated fun.

Matt was taking on Iron Chef Min over at Phil's place. I was needed for three things: an egg, moral support, and my video camera. Nothing like milking a friendship.

We ran over to Phil's apartment and things got underway. Matt seemed ahead of Min, preparing two dishes to her one, needing less time, but there was a reason. You see, like most males Matt has two types of chromosomes. X, and the unfriendly Y.

Now the Y chromosome can be responsible for some pretty amazing things, like the invention of the wheel, fire, and those cool naked lady pens. But on this night, it merely led to dissapointment. After a backbreaking hour and a half, Min trounced Matt in all areas. But what do the judges really know? They didn't even stay for ice cream floats!

---

I've been going into work more, and it seems to be keeping me busy. Nabina can never remember when I'm supposed to be in, so she fishes for something for me to do when I'm there. It's good, I got two solid article ideas today, one of which I could easily pull off in an afternoon.

Then Bruce got me. Remembering that I could use Quark, he put me to work updating the welcome guide. I guess it's going to be my pet project for the rest of the summer. I'm cool with it, as long as I get a byline sometime along the way (or three -- I really need two to submit for next year's internship apps).

---

Today was also a friend's birthday. I didn't do much, but in this case just remembering made it special.

You see, this friend is in California. I met her during the LA Times workshop this Spring.

It's kind of sad really. You go so far, and take away so much, but at the same time leave a bit of yourself behind. In this case, I went out to get an internship, but walked away with about 25 amazing friends.

Melody is one of those friends.

She's smart, funny, going places -- the kind of girl I'd like to date if she didn't live on the opposite coast. I'd like to hope that we'll remain friends despite the distance.

But remembering it was Melody's birthday also reminded me of all the other cool kids I met that week. Steve Elsasser was just rediculous, Arash was generous, Barry was the most "together" guy I've ever met, and Stephan was like my long lost twin. I really miss those kids beucase of the connection we forged.

And no, I don't mean the compulsive gambling and massive monitary losses at Hollywood Park.

I mean that we were all into the same thing -- we all are adventurous -- we all like to tell stories -- and among those thirty kids were some of the most caring and generous people I think I will ever meet.

(And where else will you find four guys that ready to hit the strip club after a full plate of chicken and waffles?)

It's really too bad that our whole lives can't be like a giant conference. I mean, what if people didn't hide behind their fences and doors? What if they were open and got to know their neighbor -- their fellow man? I suppose we might not ever truly know.

No comments: