Wednesday, June 25, 2003

Testing the waters

(Sorry about the delay, our router had issues)

I finally swam in the gorges yesterday, something I never really had an inkling to do. I also never thought I'd be doing it at 7:30 a.m.

Thanks to some prompting from the other Matt from Buffalo, and my sense of curiosity, I got up at 7:10 yesterday. After combing my hair, finiding swim trunks and eating a granola bar, I walked down the street to meet Matt. Nobody was home.

Or so I thought. After my fifth attempt at knocking, Matt finally answered the door and we were off. We started jogging around Stewart Avenue, and somehow our feet carried our drooping figures all the way to Lambda Chi. We were both exhausted — tired — yet burning with enthusiasm and alive with passion. It was a strange and wonderful sensation. It felt like being alive.

We waited for Andrew. He came out and we continued our progress, this time to the Watermargin Co-op. I expected to meet a sizable group there, but it turned out that only one person (Ann) managed to get out of bed. As she excitedly told us, she had been up since 6 a.m. That struck me as strange, but it fit the pattern. We had seen several other females out, and about that morning. We even passed three on one road. I guess getting up early isn't necessarily for the birds, just the girls. Of course, this is coming from a guy who just woke up at 2:36 p.m. today.

Past Fiji, there is a trail that leads to the gorges. We took it and soon were enticed by visions for the Gods. The sun, while still rising over everything else on campus, had already struck the gorge. It was such an amazing view; the water made the light dance on our faces.

The water was also amazingly cold, and though scary while knee deep in it, it was amazingly refreshing when completely submerged. I was timid at first, but eventually grew to love it. The only thing that kept me from a second swim was the fact that I felt my muscles lock up in the cold water, and while Matt was a lifegaurd, I didn't want to test his skills.

I went back home and took my customary 4 hour nap. Then it was time to get up and meet with the metro editor at the Ithaca Journal.

I left the house at 3:41, and made it there with about seven minutes to spare. I love living in C-Town, it's so close to the commons. Bruce Estes spotted me as I was signing in, so he ushered me upstairs and sat me down in John's office. It was 4 p.m. on the nose, but there was no sign of Mr. Carberry.

4:10 rolled around and a young asian woman came over to ask if I was related to someone (I don't remember the name, just remember that I wasn't related). It turns out that she went to Cornell, then Northwestern for grad school. Now she's back at the Journal and she loves it.

By 4:15, John showed up. He asked who I was, I introduced myself, and right away you could tell he had forgotten about our meeting. This look of panic and embarresment came over his face, but only for a few seconds. The next thing I knew, I was following him into the break room, where we talked over a can of pop.

Apparently he's going to start me off with some features, as well as training on how to pull up the police reports. From there, he'll move me to deadline if I do a good job. I'm not worried about hitting the deadline stuff, and I'm really excited about getting some news clips. Sports people, though they enjoy their jobs, work crazy hours. News always seems to go home earlier (atleast at the big papers).

We finished quickly, and he said he'd get back to me about my hours.

One thing everyone asked about at the Journal was how the new Daily Sun Building was. I told them what I knew, but confessed that I hadn't seen it at our "building warming" party during reunion weekend. Feeling guilty, I headed there after I finished with John, and conveniently ran into one of the students who works for business. She was also headed there, so she let me in.

The place was strange, and Ted Murray would surely call it a dump. The building itself is beautiful. The woodwork, paneling, and paint has all been redone. Our old desks, chairs, and shelves, however detract a bit from the new setting.

But I don't think I could have it anyother way. We've been using those desks and chairs since I've been there, and a radical, overnight replacement would mean sacrificing some of the character that is the Daily Sun. Students are going to mark up the desks, and tape gawdy pictures up anyway. You can't restrict that -- to do so is to restrict the creativity that flows from our staff.

I just sat in the sports bullpen for a while, flipping through old media guides and thinking about things to come. Eventually I wandred across the room to talk to Schroder. We had a nice chat about Sweden, the building, and what's going on with the new AE (although I can only speculate on rumors). Then it was time to go.

Outside, I just sat on the steps, nervously fumbling the card in my hand. I wanted to call Devon (that girl from my first post) and invite her to dinner. I figured we could eat on the commons, and then hit up the Jazz group that performs on Tuesdays. I don't know why I needed to call, I already knew the answer.

She was busy. Couldn't make it. Uncle died, or had to wash her hair or something like that. It's okay, I can get the hint. The disinterested, tone that speaks, "hold on, I'm trying to think of how to let you down easy becuase I like you as a person, just not as a person I'd like to date," spoke for itself. She even ended with the, "maybe we could do it another time," phrase. It's okay, I know there's no light at the end of the tunnel. Still, can't help but wishing there was. I liked this one.

Instead, I wandered back home. While sitting there, I realized I could still make it to the Kaplan LSAT review class if I hurried. So I did. After a quick lunch consisting of a hotpocket, I borrowed a pencil from Jason and headed up to College Ave. One check, two blocks, and three flights of stairs later, I was in the class and ready to go.

Well almost.

I had taken the Kaplan SAT Prep course after I had already taken the SAT once. But for this, I was flying blind. I had never done an LSAT before in my life, let alone even a practice question. And while I don't have asthma, I couldn't find my breath as I stared at that first page.

I worked through it though, and eventually found everything getting easier. I was also able to answer more questions for each additional section I took. Still, I can't wait for the tips they're going to teach us for those logic problems. They were a bitch.

I finished the class, walked out and headed home. There was a good looking girl in the class, and she walked out in front of me. Still, the thank you's I mumbled while she held the door for me was probably the most I'll ever say to her.

At home, I found Kajsa relaxing on the couch. Bill and Mary Ann (the 'rents!) had just called, so I pulled an ET and phoned home. They were glad to hear from me, and anxious to know what had happened on the "date," with the meeting, and at the class. They're also coming up on Sunday and I think they're bringing my cousins, Jacob and Alicia. I'm excited about it, especially since they're bringing the kids. Jacob is six, and Alicia is four. Together they'd be more trouble than they're worth if it wasn't for the funny things they do. I'm looking forward to visiting with them.

I ate dinner, watched sports center, and then blew a fuse. I think four different players had homered for me last night, not to mention Kevin Millar's 5 RBI. I am now Leading the best team in the league (Take that Persons) 8-2. The only thing I'm missing is stolen bases and batting average. Still, not by much. While I have a sizable lead in wins, saves, whip, ERA, RBI, and Homeruns -- I just need to hope I can have another night like last night. If so, I could easily see myself keeping the lead, or atleast walking away with seven (which is what happened last week). Take that Fisk Tisk Tisk. You can have Griffey, I'll have my record...

-- Random Thoughts of the Day --
I love how Rob leaves his away message while he's working (He's Datafly, and you should just check it out for yourself). And by the way, he's a photographer.

I can't believe 10 people read my site the other day ... can you tell your friends?

No comments: